A number of Turkish soldiers have been killed in an attack in the south-eastern province of Hakkari.
The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) rebel group said in a statement that it had carried out the attack.
Turkish media said Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was calling an emergency security meeting.
There has been a surge in violence between the army and the PKK after a ceasefire collapsed in July in the wake of Turkish raids on PKK camps in Iraq.
On Sunday, Turkish media said bombs were detonated as two military vehicles were passing in the village of Daglica.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised “a very particular and decisive” response on Turkish TV.
The PKK statement said 15 soldiers had died and weapons had been seized, but there was no official confirmation of the toll.
Local media said that air strikes had been launched against PKK positions on Sunday evening in retaliation.
The government says military operations against the PKK will continue until the group withdraws from Turkish soil and disarms.
Curfews have been imposed in several towns where clashes take place and over a hundred districts have been declared “temporary security zones”.
In retaliation, several municipalities in the predominantly Kurdish east and south-east of Turkey have announced “self-rule”.
Critics accuse President Erdogan of renewing violence to curb the support for the pro-Kurdish People’s Democratic Party (HDP), whose 14% share of the vote in June elections cost the governing AKP its majority in parliament.
The government denies these accusations. Many people fear the clashes will mount as snap elections scheduled for November draw closer.
More than 40,000 people have died since the PKK launched its armed campaign in 1984.
Source: BBC News