The Malaysian government is reported to be keen to resume the search forĀ missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

The West Australian newspaper reported today that the Malaysian government was expected to announce as early as tomorrow its intention to continue the search.

Citing sources linked to Kuala Lumpur, the daily said the Malaysian government had been looking closely at search offers from private companies.

A “no-find, no-fee” offer by US company Ocean Infinity is reportedly the favoured option, although Dutch company Fugro, which was involved in the original search, was said to have countered with a low-fee proposal.

According to the newspaper, Ocean Infinity will use six HUGIN autonomous under-water vehicles capable of operating at depths of up to 6000m to collect high-resolution data at what it says are “record-breaking speeds”.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has released a report on the missing flight and Malaysia’s Department of Civil Aviation was asked recently by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai to comb through the final ATSB report on the search for “credible evidence” on the crash site.

The disappearance of the Boeing 777 on March 8, 2014, on a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, has become one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries. A two-year sweep of the original 120,000kmĀ² search area failed to find any sign of the wreckage.

The search was ended by the Malaysian, Australian and Chinese governments in January, drawing criticism from experts that it was abandoned too soon.

-theSundaily

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here