THE Prime Minister’s Department (PMD) has dismissed allegations made by Tun Dr Mahahtir Mohamad that the government had revoked his personal services. The department said it had in fact been providing the former prime minister with a total of 21 personnel for both his office and his home.
“With regard to viral news on social media recently that the services for former Prime Minister YABhg Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, which were allegedly reduced, or withdrawn, it needs to be stressed that the government never revoked any facilities given to any former prime ministers, including Dr Mahathir.
“His office at the Perdana Leadership Foundation as well as his residence at the Mines Resort City, are provided with the personnel, in accordance with the Member of Parliament (Remuneration) Act 1980 (Act 237),” the department said in a statement.
The department added that payments for all of the personnel’s earnings, claims, allowances and other government facilities extended to them, had been coming from the government’s coffers.
The government, the statement added had also not stopped paying the utility bills of Dr Mahathir’s office and residence.
“Apart from that, the government also foots the bill for meal allowances, and the other costs for the escorts, personal bodyguards, medical officer and special assistant officer, for Dr Mahathir’s overseas trips,” it pointed out.
Dr Mahathir, had through his Facebook on Nov 1, claimed that the services of the police’s Special Action Unit (UTK), had been withdrawn, a year after the government ended the contract for his maids.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun had on Sunday, refuted Dr Mahathir’s claims that the UTK service provided to him had been revoked.
Fuzi said the UTK had continued to provide security for the Pakatan Harapan chairman and that only several general duty police officers had been pulled back, a procedure, which he said was normal.-NST