The first day of the murder trial of Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain heard today that the cadet officer was found unconscious, clad in a sarong and wrapped in medical bandages almost all over his body, in an apartment on June 1 last year.

Prosecution witness Mohd Fadzli Sham Shafii, 36, an assistant medical officer at Serdang Hospital’s emergency medical coordination centre, said he immediately carried out an emergency examination upon seeing the youth in that condition.

He said he found the victim not breathing and without pulse, and having fixed and dilated pupils, before alerting the coordination centre and receiving instruction to take the victim to the hospital immediately.

Mohd Fadzli said two of the accused in the alleged murder were there and had accompanied the unconscious victim to seek medical treatment at the Serdang Hospital.

He said the duo, Muhammad Akmal Zuhairi Azmal, who is the first accused, and Muhammad Azamuddin Mad Sofi, the second accused, volunteered to accompany the victim in the ambulance.

Elaborating, Mohd Fadzli said he had earlier met the two accused upon arrival at Apartment De Centrum in Bandar Baru Bangi, after receiving a call about an unconscious man in one of the apartment units.

“On June 1, 2017, during my 2pm to 9pm shift, the coordination centre received a distress call at 8.28pm about a man who had fallen unconscious at the apartment.

“Ambulance driver Nurul Hisham and I rushed to the scene and arrived at 8.40 pm. There was a man, whose identity was unknown to me, waiting for us at the lobby and who led us to the unit at Block B,” he said during examination-in-chief by deputy public prosecutor Othman Abdullah at the High Court here.

In reply to Othman, the witness said apart from the waiting man at the lobby, there were two other men in the apartment who later accompanied the victim in the ambulance.

When asked how he learned about their names, Mohd Fadzli said he learned them after they registered their names in the hospital registration book soon after the victim was wheeled into the emergency unit and handed over to Dr Muhd Faiq Nabil for further treatment.

Asked if he could identify the duo among the accused in the court today, the witness said: “Yes, Akmal is the one on the far right.”

“As for Azamuddin, I cannot really identify him as he wore a cap (on the day of the incident),” he added, pointing at Muhammad Akmal in the dock.

The prosecution’s fifth witness, Zulfarhan’s father, Zulkarnain Idrus, 54, a taxi driver, could not hold back tears when asked to identify his son by looking at the post-mortem pictures.

Asked by deputy public prosecutor Nurakmal Farhan Aziz whether the pictures were of Zulfarhan’s, he said yes. Zulfarhan’s mother was also seen sobbing.

Earlier, Zulkarnain, who lives in Skudai, Johor Bahru, told the court that at 11.45 pm on June 1, 2017, he received a call from Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (UPNM), informing him that his son had passed away and that his remains were at the Serdang Hospital, Selangor.

He said he immediately rushed to the hospital and arrived at 3.30am, but was only allowed to see and identify his son’s body at 9am on June 2.

He said Zulfarhan was the first of four siblings and was a second-year student of an electrical engineering course at UPNM and the last time he saw his son was in April 2017 when he had returned home for three days.

To Nurakmal Farhan’s question on whether Zulfarhan had ever complained about any problem he was facing at UPNM, the witness said never.

Asked whether his son had a laptop computer, the man said Zulfarhan had his own laptop computer but he was not sure how long his son had had it.

The trial before Justice Datuk Azmi Ariffin continues on Feb 28.

Six UPNM students, namely Muhammad Akmal Zuhairi, Muhammad Azamuddin, Muhammad Najib Mohd Razi, Muhammad Afif Najmudin Azahat, Mohamad Shobirin Sabri and Abdoul Hakeen Mohd Ali are jointly charged with murdering and abetting in the murder of Zulfarhan at room 04-10, Jebat hostel block, UPNM between 4.45 am and 5.45 am on May 22 last year.

They were charged under Section 302 and Section 109 of the Penal Code, read together with Section 34 of the same Code and face the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.-BERNAMA


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here